I make all kinds of quilts, both Traditional and Art, and have been enjoying this since the late 1970’s when I took a patchwork class with the Embroiderers’ Guild – we made a silk pincushion! Both my mother and grandmother had introduced me to sewing and embroidery much earlier, but from the time of this class I was hooked into patchwork and quilting.
Now partially retired from my more than 40-year career as a consultant dietitian I am relishing spending more time on my quilting and associated research. I have two major spheres of interest. Firstly, I have been influenced by my long-term membership of a quilt study group and now create contemporary quilts made with the sensibilities and priorities of the 19th century quilt maker but with the supplies and technology of the 21st century.
Secondly, I make art quilts using traditional techniques in non-traditional ways, influenced by a response to colour and the feeling it evokes. I have had a number of solo exhibitions since 1983, and regularly take part in group shows, and curate exhibitions.
In the past few years I have become interested in investigating quilt judging, and this has led to many adventures on judging floors in Australia and overseas, and am now a Certified Judge with The Quilters’ Guild of the British Isles
Quilt Shows and prizes:
- Curator’s Prize at Australian Quilts in Public Places, Box Hill, Victoria December 2015.
- Juried into Road to California January 2016
- Juried into Lancaster and Paducah AQS shows.
- Honourable Mention Paducah 2015 Small Wall Quilt Hand Quilted.
2014 Exuberant Feathers
- Semi- finalist AQS Lancaster USA
2013 The Banquet
- Semi-finalist AQS Paducah USA
2012 Eucalyptus Morning
- Semi-finalist AQS Lancaster USA
- Excellence in Hand Quilting, Narelle Grieve Award, Showcase Victorian Quilters Inc 2012
2011 Osaka Autumn
- Semi-finalist Miniature Art Abstract, IQA HoustonUSA
2011 Birds in the Forest
- 3rd Prize AQS Small Quilt, Hand Quilted LancasterUSA
- 2nd Prize Traditional Quilt Quilters Guild of NSW 2010
2010 Midnight Marigolds
- 1st Prize Miniatures Quilters Guild of NSW
2010 The Shirtmaker’s Vine
- Honorable Mention AQS Paducah USA
- 3rd Place Traditional Quilt Quilters Guild of NSW 2009
2008 In the Night Garden
- 2nd Prize Small Quilt & Viewers Choice
- One Step Further VicQuilters Inc
2008 Beneath Our Feet
- Commended Buda Contemporary Textiles Award, Castlemaine Vic
- Purchased as part of the permanent Collection Central Goldfields Art Gallery, Maryborough Vic
2008 The Persimmon Tree
- 1st prize and Excellence in Hand Quilting Award Quilters Guild of NSW
2008 Pineapples and Pomegranates
- Fourth Prize Quilters Guild of NSW
2003 Flowers and Fibonacci
- Best Amateur Hand Quilting Showcase Victorian Quilters Inc
2002 Hera’s Gift
- Highly Commended, Lactation Nurses International Conference Challenge Exhibition, Perth
- Conference Challenge Exhibition, Perth
2011 – 2013 Successfully completed 2 year Judge training course with Quilters Guild of the British Isles.
2013 3 day Observation of Quilt Judging at National Quilting Association Annual Show Ohio, USA and PD session on Judging Machine Embroidered Quilts
2013 ½ day Workshop on Appraising Art Quilts, Paducah USA facilitated by Donna Kooistra
2010 National Quilting Association USA ½ day workshop Judging Skills
2009 National Quilting Association USA 2 day workshop Introduction to Quilt Judging
2016 Judge (one of 3) Road to California, Ontario California USA
2015 Provided workshop for Aotearoa Quilters of New Zealand 2 x 1 day on Judging practice
2014 Judge (one of 3) Festival of Quilts South Australia
Judge (one of 3) Auckland NZ Quilt Show
2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014 Assisted on Judging Floor Road to California Show USA
2012 Judge (one of 3) Sydney Quilt Show Quilters Guild of NSW
2012 Judge at Goldfields Quilters Biannual Show
2012 – 2013, and 2014 – 2015 Curator, ‘Golden Textures’ Juried Art Quilt exhibition Central Goldfields Shire Vic
2012 Assisted on Judging Day at Festival of Quilts, Birmingham UK
2011 and 2012 Judge Community Art and Craft Show – Central Goldfields Art Gallery
2010 and 2011 Coordinator of Judging Floor Showcase VicQuilters Inc
2009 and 2010 Coordinator One Step Further VicQuilters Inc